Monday, March 7, 2016

Thank You to All

As the final buzzer went last night in my game, there were a lot of mixed emotions. There were a lot of people that came to mind that I feel I needed to say thank you to once again. To all of my coaches through out my life. Thank you for the time that you put in and the commitment that you each made volunteering your time and coaching. Thank you for teaching me about the sport that I so fondly love. To the coaches that gave me a chance to play Junior I have to thank you. These were some of the best 5 years of my life. The opportunity to move away from home as a young 16 year old to play against what felt like men. I learned a lot of valuable life lessons in those 5 years. I cannot thank all of the staff and the organizations that I played for enough. All of the billet families that took me into their homes and allowed me to chase a dream so many other kids have and wish for. Finally comes the final 4 years of my competitive hockey life, University. I remember it being a dream of mine to play University hockey, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I had the greatest 4 years of my life. I was given the opportunity of a life time to complete my degree while playing the sport I love, and for this I could not be more thankful. I wasn't sure where I would end up going after my 20 year old season of Junior, or what I would  be doing. I have to thank Minot State University and everyone involved with the hockey program. Having the opportunity to finally hoist a cup, and being a national champion. Thank you to all that made it a possible journey.

Not only do I have my coaches and all the people in front offices to thank, but I have my teammates as well. Thank you to all the guys I had the pleasure to lace up the skates and go to battle with. Thank you for what each of you were able to teach me, and having the best time of my life. Thank you for all the memories that I will never forget. All the long bus rides, staying in hotels, eating countless amounts of subs and pizza. Eating spaghetti what felt like 3 days a week at times before games, or whatever other food we would have served to us. Thank you for making every part of it memorable. Having met all the people that I have, and hearing everyone talk about their stories. Going through January 10 five times was something else. That's a day everyone involved in Junior hockey is well aware of. Having to say goodbye to teammates and greeting new ones as you gear up for playoffs each year. To all the teammates that welcomed me when I was traded and not knowing anyone or where exactly I was going. In college, the extremely long road trips that felt like they never ended. Sitting on the bus even when we would finally arrive just to finish the movie we were watching because we were so oblivious to the rest of the world. Missing the amount of school that we did to go play 4 games in 4 days. All the broken down buses, the van rides. Fortunate enough to even mix in a couple plane rides. I couldn't be more thankful and appreciative of all the guys, from when I was 4 years old until now 24 years old. The memories are something I will cherish for the rest of my life.

To all of my billets and my hockey families. You have become just that, family. I am extremely appreciative of you opening up your homes to me and allowing me to become a part of your life. You all made it a special experience for me and helped me to become who I am today. I learned a lot of valuable lessons over the years, and was able to grow up a lot more than I feel I would have at home. I know that moving into another families home was something I was nervous but excited about. I can still remember the first time pulling into each of your driveways. The nervousness that I would have as we approached. I could not have asked for better homes to live within. To my hockey family in Minot, and how supportive they have been. I still remember randomly meeting you at the local Junior hockey game. I can not thank you enough for everything over the last 4 years and the amount of Gatorade and snacks and everything else that you would send along with me to the road trips. Thank you for having me over for meals while I lived in the dorms (the cafeteria sucked). Thank you for allowing me to become a part of your family as well.

Finally my friends and family. I owe a huge thank you to my family. All of the sacrifices that were made in order to me to chase my dreams. The long days of work then travelling to wherever I had games that weekend. Sending me with other families and staying behind to work and support me while I chased my dreams. Driving all around BC year round visiting countless amounts of arenas, and small towns I probably never would of known existed. All the equipment, the cost of new skates and sticks all the time. I know I broke far more than my fair share and they didn't come at a cheap price tag. I don't think I could have chosen a more expensive sport to try and chase my dreams in, yet you made it all possible. I will be forever thankful to all of you. I know I have thanked you all numerous times, but I truly cannot express my gratitude through words. And one last thank you to my girlfriend, who did everything possible to make things the easiest for me to do what I love to do. Whether it was making treats for on the road trips or making a pre-game meal for my apartment for when we woke up from our pre-game naps. For understanding the weird game day superstitions that I had and not questioning them. Thank you for being by my side and being there after every game. Thank you for everything that you did.

Today is thank you, and next will be sharing my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment